The Franco-British Council, the Franco-British Lawyers’ Society and the Franco-British Connections would like to invite you on 11th of June, at Lancaster House to a day seminar on the impact of Magna Carta and the Déclaration des Droits de l’Homme et du Citoyen on our societies through history.
Key speakers including Lord Sumption, SE Sylive Bermann, Pr Etienne Picard, Keith Vaz MP, Pr Robert Tombs, Rt Hon Lady Justice Arden, Judge Bernard Stirn, Rt Hon Dominic Grieve QC MP, Jean-Paul Costa, Shami Chakrabarti, will be answering questions such as :
- How have these documents shaped the relationship between those who govern and citizens today?
- Should Europe have more or less power over its member states?
- Do the domestic political classes need to regain legitimacy?
- Do religions have a legitimate right to be exempted from the domain of free speech?
- Are the secular settlements of Europe secure?
Please find more information and the agenda of the seminar here. The proceedings will be conducted in English
We are grateful to the French Embassy and the Foreign Office for supporting this event.